Cluster Headache Vs Migraine is a common talk among sufferers who looking for treatment.Most of you out there think every a cluster headache is a migraine. Both start with a pain In your head. But they are not the same. And need to treat them in different ways.
Let us have an insight into the differences between a cluster headache and migraine.
- A cluster headache has the characteristic of stabbing pain.
- A migraine has characteristic of deep throbbing and pulsating pain
- A cluster headache is usually unilateral and located near eye on the affected side.
- A migraine is located around the temple of the eye.
- A cluster headache more common in men
- A migraine more common in Women
- A cluster headache gives a runny nose, red watery eyes and rarely causes vomiting or nausea.
- A migraine rarely gives a runny nose and red watery eyes. But vomiting and nausea are common with a migraine.
- A cluster headache gives an extremely severe pain.
- A migraine gives a pain ranging from moderate to quite severe.
Duration of the pain
- Cluster headache onsets in short time (peaks within 45 mins) and may last for maximum 4 hours.
- A migraine lasts longer than any a headache, anywhere from 4 hours to several days.
- A normal painkiller can give a relief to cluster a headache in less than half an hour.
- A migraine will give no or minimal impact even after several painkillers and after many long hours.
- A cluster headache is clubbed with breathing issues through the nostril on the side of the pain.
- A migraine rarely clubs breathing issues.
Sensitivity to light & sound
- A cluster migraine gets better when listening to some soft music.
- Migraine sufferers are sensitive to light and sound. Hence prefers to be in a dark and quiet environment.
Post headache symptoms
- A cluster headache gives complete recovery to the person after a headache vanishes.
- Migraine sufferers may experience many other symptoms after a headache is over, such as fatigue and weakness which could last for few hours or few days.
If you are sufferer we suggest you read more about cluster headache treatments.
Appreciate Your Feedback on Cluster Headache Vs Migraine article.